School Learning Values
A core value is a central belief which is understood and shared by every member of the school community. Core values arise out of what we believe to be important about people, about society and about learning and knowledge.
At Henbury View, we strive to develop independent and confident learners who are resilient, reflective, reciprocal, resourceful and respectful. We call these our 5 lily pads.
By respect we mean that:
- We listen carefully when other people are speaking and consider the other person’s point of view even if it does not match our own.
- We look after our own and other people’s property with care.
- We act with good manners (e.g. holding doors open for others; greeting each other when we meet with good morning and good afternoon and showing others consideration)
By resilience we mean that:
- We don’t give up when things don’t go well for us – we persevere and continue trying.
- We can use strategies taught to us to be able to try to work through problems.
- We understand that we may face difficult times and know where to go to help us get through them.
- I recognise that I may not always be at the top and win everything and I can congratulate others who do well at those times.
By resourceful we mean that:
- I know what I can do to help develop my understanding
- I can use the resources at my disposal to help my learning as well as others
- I am able to think about other people’s needs and what I can do to help them.
By reciprocal we mean that:
- I can recognise skills that others make to a project or a team.
- I know and understand that we all have strengths that make us good leaders in different activities but we don’t need to be the leader all of the time.
- I can listen to other people’s ideas and can find ways we can work together even if we don’t have exactly the same idea.
By reflect we mean that:
- We recognise that we are all unique and have pride in our own skills and abilities.
- We take time to do things that we enjoy doing and make us feel happy like sport, reading or other activities.
- We can recognise our own emotions and understand that sometimes we might need to talk to someone or ask for help from others.
- We recognise that we are all special and individual and deserve to be treated with fairness and respect.
Our lily pads are evident in all of our learning spaces and provide teachers with a basis for all learning. Children are encouraged to constantly reflect on how their learning relates to our core values.